Sunday, January 13, 2013

I really really really want a zig zag (wall) ahh.



So I've been wanting a zig zag wall in my kitchen for a LONG time.

 I painted the opposite wall the most wonderful shade of tangerine when we first moved in. THAT was easy.
This zig zag wall was another story. I knew I wanted big gray zig zags, but that was about it.

After staring at a white wall for  months, It's finally done.

This is how I did it.

1. I painted the wall white. All my paint was bought from Home Depot. After working there for 4 years, I'm still pretty loyal. The color I used was called Irish Mist.

2. I found the center of the wall.

3. Taking a 12 x 12 piece of scrapbook paper I had laying around, I started making a grid on the wall. To save time, I only marked the corners)


4. After I got the grid on the whole wall I started taping. This took the most time. first, I had to decide what order I wanted the colors to go. Since I ran out of white paint and didn't have enough for the very top of the wall, I "decided" to put the gray on top. I then took my tape and started making the zig zags. I did this by making diagonals through each square with the tape. Now this is where it gets a little tricky. I wanted my zig zags to be the same size. So I had to figure out what side of the grid + to put the tape.  I did lots of measuring and LOTS of double checking. The best advice I can give you is to start from the top. For the area that is to be painted, you want each point to hit the center of each + exactly.


This is what it looked like then it was all taped. It doesn't look even, but once I remove the tape it will all work out.

5. Before I started painting, I marked where the gray was going to go, just to be safe.


Its hard to see, but it says GRAY

6. Here is a little trick to make sure your lines are nice and crisp, with NO bleed marks. Take the color of the wall (in my case white) and paint a thin coat on the edges where the second color goes. This will seal the tape and make sure nothing bleeds through. This extra step made ALL the difference!


7. I waited 10 minutes for the white to dry, then painted my gray stripes. It took 2 coats.


8. remove the tape when the paint is still wet. SLOWLY.


9. TADA!






No comments:

Post a Comment